Belfast Elementary began as a one-room log school in 1885. In 1890, a new site was purchased and a three-room weather board school was constructed. In 1899, the building burned to the ground, giving rise to the new school called Stuart Institute, named after H.C. Stuart who donated the land. In 1939, the present school was built and named Belfast School when the White family presented the land. In 1959, 1977, and 1988 additions were added to the building. In the summer of 2009, Belfast Elementary School was completely renovated including the roof, floor tile, and the heating/cooling system.  Beginning with the 2013-2014 school year, Belfast Elementary serves grades Kingergarten through 5th with 6 classrooms, computer lab, library, cafeteria, auditorium, mobile unit, and two offices.

 Elk Garden Elementary, the oldest school building in Russell County, was built in 1916. It provided the first school lunch program in the county. A covered wagon drawn by a horse furnished by Governor Stuart and driven by one of the students was the first school bus in the county. Elk Garden served as a Junior High School from 1917 to 1927. In 1957, the all-purpose room was constructed to serve as a cafeteria, auditorium, and physical education facility. At present, Elk Garden Elementary serves grades 3-6 with 6 classrooms, library, computer lab, STEM lab/band room, two offices, and cafeteria/PE facility. Recently, the roof and tile in the main building and cafeteria were replaced.   Elk Garden Elementary was closed beginning with the 2013-2014 school year.  Students in grades 3-5 will be attending Belfast Elementary School.
 
Each site was an individual school serving grades 1-7 until 1964 when they were merged as one school. Both buildings are located northeast of Lebanon on Route 19 and serve approximately 200 students.